International primary and secondary school aged students who have been accepted to study in Australia in a primary school course, a secondary school course or an approved secondary school exchange program are required to hold an Australian School Student visa.
The Australian school system comprises both public (government funded) and private schools. Schooling in Australia begins with a preparatory year followed by six years of primary school and six years of secondary school.
How to study in Australia:
To be eligible to apply for an Australian School Student visa, applicants are required to:
- be enrolled in a registered Primary or Secondary school course or exchange program;
- have adequate English language ability;
- have financial means to support themselves; and
- have overseas student health insurance cover for the duration of their stay in Australia.
Applicants under the age of 18, must also demonstrate that they have:
- parental permission to study in Australia; and
- suitable arrangements for their accommodation, support and general welfare.
Please discuss with one of our registered migration agents or education specialists which visa stream is most applicable to your individual circumstances.